Wednesday, March 1, 2017

High Octane Cars; Free Sock Knitting Pattern and an Artist Begins


How’s everyone doing? Welcome to the first blog of March! February is such a weird month so we've technically skipped what would of been one or maybe two more blogs if this was a month with 30 or 31 days.

A High Octane Set of Car Photographs


It’s time to rev up those engines and hit the road! I go out on trips with my family a lot and this previous week we seemed to of hit a jackpot when it comes to finding awesome and vintage cars along our way. First off we got this super sexy (Am I allowed to use that word on here?) silver race car.


I really don’t know if this is a specific model or some sort of custom built kit car but it’s absolutely awesome. It’s so sleek and looks like it could tear up a racetrack somewhere in the world. It’s got a nice soft top and I would love to get the chance to drive behind the wheel of this very badass car.


On the same day, surprisingly I came across this incredible Plymouth Roadrunner.


While Roadrunner is one of my all time favorite Looney Tunes this car is even more of an absolute favorite. I’ve always been a huge fan of the Plymouth Roadrunner. This is a Plymouth Roadrunner is a 340 model. I don’t exactly know the year but I’ve been learning a lot about cars since starting this blog up so with a little looking up I can say this would roughly be a 1960s car. Though if you know the exact year please let me know, let me know on that kit car as well my curiosity is killing me and I can’t find an exact match online.


Earlier on before I found these two beauties I came across this incredible Shelby Cobra.


Approximately this is a 1966 model, though the metal piping around the grill is missing compared to other photos of 66 models… Hmmm… Anyway this is an incredible car and once again if anyone knows the models of these cars please let me know via the comments, contact field or social media! I actually took this photograph while we were in the car moving, thanks camera ISO speed and shutter speed for making this possible.

So we’ve crossed the finish line (Of this topic, not the blog, no worries.) and I can safely say these were some awesome cars. I would love to be able to get behind the wheel of these cars and drive them one day. I’m a huge car fan so be sure to keep an eye out, I talk about cars on here every so often, just click cars at the top of the blog to see the blog posts with car topics in them!

So due to Monday’s blog being a huge Pokemon celebration (Go check it out at http://zakentertainment.blogspot.com/2017/02/my-life-as-pokemon-trainer-generation-1.html, it’s a big trip down memory lane, my memories of the first generation of Pokemon.) I didn’t post anything knitting related on that day as Pokemon took up my entire blog writing space (2,500+ words, did I go overboard?) so to make up for it I got a brand new knitting pattern to share!


ZAK's Eyes on a Knitting Pattern

Baudelair Socks


Famous for her Monkey Socks pattern and her free No Purl Monkeys sock (Also that awesome giant mannequin leg and foot she uses) and just having a whole load of awesome sock patterns in general this pattern I’m featuring today comes from knitting designer Cookie A. Mum has been a favorite of her socks and patterns in general for a while now and I’m eager to try some of them out myself in the future. Though this one pattern is actually a pattern Mum didn’t know about until we researched it for today’s feature… The Baudelaire Sock Pattern.

Photos provided by Ravelry

At first glance? These socks look incredible and stylish and looking deeper into the pattern only proves my point. This sock is an incredible mixture of Lace and Cable working it’s way up the front foot and body of this wonderful pair of socks. What caught my eye was the fact that this actually has both Cable and Lace work in it. I’ve become quite a bit of a cable knitting nut lately I absolutely love cable knitting and Lace isn’t far behind on my top favorite knit stitches list. Looking at the chart it seems to make sense to me I seem to be getting better at understanding charts lately.

Photos provided by Ravelry

Oh yeah something else that sets this sock part from socks I’ve already knitted before… This is actually a toe up sock. I’ve never attempted a toe up sock before so I’m eager to give it a go and this pattern looks too irresistible for me not to. The pattern itself is an 8 repeat so it should be easy to memorize as you work your way up this piquant sock(s). I definitely recommend these socks to those itching to knit a pair of elegant looking socks like these. The Lace and Cable combo is really attractive. Anyway check out the pattern on Ravely as well as Knitty. You can check out Cookie on her Ravelry designer page and cookiea.com

Unboxing the XP-Pen Star05 Wireless Art Tablet & Pen


So we’ve talked about this art tablet quite a bit over the past month. Mum and Sis were both searching for new art tablets, Mum because of her new computer and Ann because her old Wacom Intous 5 will not work on her new Windows 10 computer. After scouring the market we came across the XP-Pen Star05 Wireless Tablet. It’s only $69.99 on Amazon which is incredible considering how the equivalent Wacom tablet is 200+. Actually this XP-Pen has MORE then what Wacom offers. Before I go into details though check out this new video I put together! I missed the opportunity when my sister’s tablet arrived but I took it when Mum’s arrived and thus this unboxing video was born! I’m an unboxing noob so forgive me if I don’t know what I’m doing.

I'm really proud of this thumbnail for some reason despite it's simplicity.

The XP-Pen is really awesome. It’s sleek and the pen feels so comfortable in my hand, it’s very similar to a carpenter’s pen. Like I’ve mentioned a lot already this tablet is wireless, meaning after a 2 hour charge via USB you can use this completely wirelessly in any position you want. Want to draw upside down? You do that. Like I mentioned in the video the drivers on the disc didn’t work on Mum’s and Annie’s computers so I recommend you go on the website and download the Star04 drivers. I know it’s the 04 but apparently there are bugs with the Star05 drivers that cause cursor errors with programs such as Krita. The awesome people at XP-Pen are working hard on a fix so keep an eye out on their twitter. I’ll keep you guys up to date as well. I definitely recommend this tablet to those seeking a cheaper but actually BETTER solution to Wacom!


So still speaking of art related stuff…

Unsuppressing my Artist Drawing Urges 

& Introducing Aeris Eclipse (An OC.)


So as some of you may know my sister, who runs the blog ladyannavintage.blogspot.com is definitely the more artistic one compared to myself but I think I’ve just unlocked  a bar on myself that I’ve been suppressing for years. Yes I’ve been doing some artwork lately. For the most part, Vector Art. I don’t know why I stopped myself from drawing all these years and as a kid I drew all the time, mostly comics. I’ve grown tired of having these ideas in my head and not doing anything about them. I know I’m a writer and filmmaker first but I have an urge to draw and make art. I have to admit I’m a tad nervous about sharing all this what I’m about to show you is a vector art piece of a character that’s been in my head for years. So with Ann serving as a huge inspiration for me, here we go.

I know it looks amateurish and well I am an amature but hey its good for a first attempt, right?

This is a complete Vector Art piece done in Krita. The tree and the buildings? Vectors. The Character herself? All vectors. Not just that, I did this all using a mouse. (I really need to get an XP-Pen of my own.) Anyway the clouds and background was not done using vectors but I used blending tools and brushes in Krita using multiple shades of blue and white. It probably seems amateurish but this is my first vector drawing in YEARS! I’m serious when I say the vector work I’ve been doing was more so graphical related. I’ve always been a huge fan of character drawings, anime, manga, Bruce Tim and art in general so the inspirations always been there but I kept putting it off. So I’m going to persist with this new development and start doing artwork, as far as digital art until I get hold of an XP-Pen tablet I’ll continue with vector mouse art but I do want to start doing hand drawings, so begins a new journey, of art, which will becoming a mainstay topic on the blog as I dive deeper... and somehow learn how to do poses other then face forward, 3/4 angle here I come.

Now you’re probably wondering, who is this dashing young girl in this piece of vector art? This is a character I came up with roughly 8 years ago and has gone through a LOT of changes and molding, mostly in the past couple of years. Her name is Aeris Eclipse. She’s the star of a story I’ve been formulating called Dream Eclipse. The plans are to write a novel series but I’ve also been considering perhaps doing comics. Dream Eclipse is kind of my “Dream” story, all puns intended. Aeris Eclipse is a 16 year old girl who lives in the town of Puente (May not be the final name, who knows.) a quite country town where a river runs flowingly under a crisscrossed bridge. Her life is pretty ordinary aside from the strange dreams she has every night, each dream feeling more and more real every night. Eventually she gets wrapped up into a thrilling tale in a world where Dreams overlap reality and those who are chosen can weave them into reality. The Dream World, the world our minds wander off to when we sleep, plays a huge role in this story. (Its fiction, I don’t actually have scientific proof that a Dream World exists… Yet.) Dreams play a big part in this story but how they play a part I’m not sure if I have enough time left in this blog to describe the full setting. Aeris is only one of many OCs I’ve come up with over the years that link to this story. I do have other characters and stories in mind that would be completely separate stories/novels and I’m itching to draw all of them just as much as I’m itching to write. (I also have to learn 3/4 angle drawing, side view, action poses... OH BOY I got a lot to learn, but I want to learn so that makes it just a little easier, maybe.)

Aeris has been in the works for quite a while and my sister aka Lady AnnaVintage has actually been helping me design some of the characters for Dream Eclipse. If it wasn’t for the reference sheet she made I wouldn’t of done so well on this drawing. I won’t post the ref sheet here, that doesn’t seem right to me to be honest so I’m sending you all over to her blog ladyannavintage.blogspot.com Annie hasn’t actually posted the ref sheet at all yet (Which you can now, if you want, I’m sending everyone over to you.) but she has just as incredible artwork as well as photography on her blog so go check it out! She’s a way better artist then I am and will ever be anyway, though I do want to improve.

Uh I’m trying to decide a good place to post my art I do other then here on the blog. I got Instagram but for full artwork, I’m not sure. Deviantart? Tumblr? Any suggestions?

That’s a wrap folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment