Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Reading the DC Rebirth Comics & The Wonder Beanie


Running faster then time itself, being able to deflect bullets, jump buildings with a single bound, throwing bat shaped boomerangs to defeat mad clowns and their crime sprees, these sort of things would be almost impossible to happen in real life but in the world of DC Comics the possibilities are endless. DC Comics has been around since the 1930s and have brought uncountable adventures and wonders with some pretty awesome heroes, superheroes and villains to boot.  Along with these stories comes the multiverse and oh boy its massive. The multiverse idea is thrown around quite often in entertainment nowadays with there being multiple earths with slightly different events. Shows like The Flash on CW are diving into this and even Pokemon seems to be dabbling a bit in it. (The Ultra Wormhole storyline.) DC’s multiverse has actually gone under some pretty massive changes over the years, even more so recently.

Are you familiar with the New 52? The new 52 served as sort of a reboot to all of DC’s current line of comics back in 2011, completely changing the multiverse with the massive Flashpoint storyline. While I am a big comic book/superhero fan I never really kept up with the New 52 storyline. New 52 changed a LOT of what we knew about our favorite heroes, some for the better some for the worse. Well starting last year DC has underwent ANOTHER reboot (More like a soft reboot I guess.) and I think it’s brought me and lots of other comic book fans back into the DC Universe. 

DC Rebirth is bringing back elements and characters lost to the changes Flashpoint made and mixing them with the goods of New 52.

SPOILER ALERT! This blog may continue certain elements that are probably spoilers, just warning you now.


Wally West makes a huge return and seems to be playing a center role in the DC Rebirth storyline. You know, the ginger headed Wally not the short haired Wally we’ve seen in the New 52 and the current TV show. He’s just one of the elements returning from the Pre-52 storylines.

I’ve not gotten too deep in the rebirth storyline I’ve only read the initial DC Rebirth comic and I’m currently reading The Flash Rebirth stories. 
The Flash Rebirth is getting a little speedy with a new white and gold clad enemy, some new speedster allies (Some is probably an understatement… There are a LOT of new speedsters… A Lab full.) and an uncertain future Barry Allen has his hands full with life, as well as coming to term with memories of a life he didn’t know he lived. I have to admit I’m not sure if this takes over exactly where the New 52 comics ended it seems to still be the New 52 Barry Allen but his memories of Pre-Flashpoint are finally being remembered. I’m not sure how confused you’ll be if you haven’t read the New 52 Comics or even if you haven’t read the Pre-52 comics but diving in I wasn’t too confused, I recognized all the characters and the first few issues seem to do a good job at throwing in some bits and pieces of the original storylines.
The Flash Rebirth is only one puzzle piece in a bunch of awesome new DC storylines. Like there’s a lot, from new Batman comics to Superman and a whole bunch more. I’m probably going to have to set some time aside to read and catch up on the Rebirth storyline before I fall to behind like I did with The New 52.

I really recommend the DC Rebirth comics (Start off with the DC Rebirth #1 though so you don't get confused.) to DC fans alike, whether you started reading the comics during New 52 or you’ve been reading since the Golden and Silver ages this seems like a love letter to DC fans everywhere and I applaud the writes of these awesome storylines for doing such a great job so far. DC Rebirth currently has at least one volume out for each storyline so you don’t have to buy individual issues, which is nice, you can check them out on places like iTunes, Amazon or your Local Comic Book store.

Hey you knitters out there, you love comic books right? I’m a knitter who loves comics so I mustn’t be the only one… I found another free pattern which I think you’ll like, especially if you’re a fan of Wonder Woman. I’ve been in the mood for some DC lately, with the CW TV shows, DC Rebirth and the new movies in the works so I figured I would go searching for a DC related knitting pattern. I didn’t find much sadly but I did come across this really awesome free beanie pattern. This is called… The Wonder Beanie.

Image Provided by Christabel Seneque on Ravelry.

Yes it is indeed a Wonder Beanie created by Designer Christabel Seneque has it has the traditional Wonder Woman pattern wrapped around it. This is such an awesome beanie I’m glad I found it. It’s a pretty straight forward colorworks chart (The only kind of chart I can read, ha.) and you can use DK or Worsted weight yarn. I think this’ll make a great knit project for your superhero loving friends, kids or even for you. This beanie will definitely make you feel like a wonderful superhero; just don’t try to deflect bullets with it… Also the Lasso of Truth is NOT included and some insurance charges are added if you have the Invisible Jet, I thought I had an Invisible Jet once… Not sure where I misplaced it. Once again this awesome pattern comes from Designer Christable Seneque and you can check out her other patterns on her Ravelry! She hasn’t been active since 2015 sadly but here’s a link to her blog http://cseneque.wordpress.com/.

Speaking of our favorite Amazonian (Man this blog just keeps flowing together) the upcoming Wonder Woman movie (With WW herself being played by Gal Gadot.) actually has a brand new Trailer! This trailer is 2 and a half minutes long so strap in and let’s take a look!


First off we see a young Diana (Y’know… Wonder Woman… Is that spoilers? Haha, just kidding.) speaking with who I’m assuming to be General Antiope, Diana’s aunt played by Robin Wright, about a Sword that only the mighty can wield. After reassuring that Diana is not one to wield the sword (Ha, yeah right, sure she isn’t.) we see some clips of an older Diana undergoing training with a little sneak peak at her powers. This movie is definitely looking to be the live-action retelling of Wonder Woman’s origins that everyone’s always wanted. Funny enough  it seems like I this movie takes place around 100 years (I actually have no confirmation on this except from what Gal Gadot has said herself.) before Wonder Woman’s appearance in Batman VS Superman, yeah Amazonian live a long time without aging… Could also be the fact she’s a Demigod.

Oh yeah! Back to the trailer her find Wonder Woman running into… Chris Pine? Hello Chris Pine I actually forgot you were going to be in this movie. Yes Chris Pine will be playing Steve Trevor, a captain from the United States Air Force who seems to end up stranded on Wonder Woman’s home Island. (Which is pretty much the same in the original comic storyline.) After grabbing her Lasso of Truth Diana alongside Steve head out to what appears to be a World War 1 era London, which is where I’m assuming most of the movie takes place. To wrap the trailer up we see some clippings of some of this movies awesome action, including a badass lasso maneuver by Wonder Woman. I can safely say I’m pretty excited to see this movie, it’s the very first Wonder Woman live action movie and I’m glad they’re doing her origins so we can see how she grows as a hero. Of course Wonder Woman has had a live action version before in the form of the 1970s TV show starring the wonderful Lynda Carter and Gal Gadot is looking to be just as great as her predecessor. This movie will be released in June of this year and will link up with Man of Steel and Batman VS Superman later on this November for the Justice League movie. Can I just say that this movie will probably blow the pants off of Man of Steel and Batman Vs Superman?


Don't forget to check out Wonder Woman's new DC Rebirth comics! The first volume is out now and I'm going to dive into it soon so I'll be sure to follow up to this blog at some point.

Anyway that’s about it for today; we got pretty super powered on today’s blog. I’m still working on an digital art piece using that sketch I made of my original character Aeris Eclipse and despite frustrations I think it’s coming along… I hope. Maybe I’m being too picky with it but certain parts of this artwork, mostly the eyes have been really frustrating. I know I’m an amateur and it’s perfectly alright for things not to go perfectly when you’re starting out but I tend to have this perfectionist streak that comes out often, annoying right? Really this art piece was really supposed to simply be practice for my new art tablet pen anyway. I was going to show a screenshot of my progress but I think I’ll wait until it’s finished to show you. I need to do more hand drawing and sketch practice on things like eyes and mouths to be honest.

Don't forget to check out my sister's new blog! http://ladyannavintage.blogspot.com/2017/03/spring-time-for-birds.html She's bringing some artwork back to her blog and it blends in nicely with her bird photography.

That’s a wrap folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment