Monday, April 3, 2017

Spider-Man Gets a Homecoming in a New Movie Trailer


Welcome to the first blog of April! Was going to do something for April Fools day but I actually couldn't think of anything... Until after April Fools day. Ohh well I guess I'll keep that idea to myself until next year. Yesterday was a really odd day, it was like night time all day long due to the heavy storms and downpours. Let's get the ball rolling!

With great power comes great responsibility. This phrase is equal parts memorable and timeless. Who would of known it would be a common phrase spoken by a certain Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. Our favorite web slinger dates back to the 1960s more specifically 1962 when America was already seeing success with the Fantastic Four comic series (Which could be a blog all on its own.) the writer of said comic series Stan Lee and the talented people at Marvel comics were already brainstorming and forming ideas for the man we know as Spider-Man.

Cover of The Amazing Spider-Man vol. 2, #50 (April 2003) Art by J. Scott Campbell and Tim Townsend

The Wall Craller made his first appearance in issue 15 of Marvel's Amazing Fantasy comic series (Which never continued past issue 15, funny enough.) Spider-Man was a huge success and ended up making Amazing Fantasy #15 one of Marvel's Highest Selling comics. He would then go on to become an icon in Superhero comics and one of if not my all time favorite Marvel and comic in general characters. Peter Parker is the man behind the spider mask but how could a dorky teen like him be Spider-Man? Well after getting bitten by a radioactive spider I guess anyone would be able to shoot web, crawl on walls and get a sixth spider sense. (Don't try this at home kids.) He's completely shy and lacks confidence outside the suit but he tends to let loose while web slinging, I guess it's because of the mask.

Spider-Man has become so popular he's gone beyond the comics, getting countless animated and live action tv series as well as hitting the big screens with the Spider-Man Trilogy portrayed by Toby Maguire. He would then go on to receive two more Spider-Man movies in the reboot known as The Amazing Spider-Man portrayed by Andrew Garfield. With Marvel Studios hitting it big with their Marvel Cinematic Universe everyone's been dying to see the web slinger swing his way into the Avengers. (Because in the comics he actually IS an Avenger.) Despite this it seemed like a far fetched dream as Sony Picture Studios currently held the movie rights to Spider-Man and seemed uninterested to link up with Disney's Marvel movies. (I never realized how spread out Marvel sold its movie rights back before they decided to make their own movies.) Our dreams came true with the release of Captain America: Civil War (Spider-Man now being played by Tom Holland who seems to me a perfect fit for Peter Parker), the first movie in a huge partnership between Sony and Marvel which will bring Spider-Man and his friends and villains to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.


I wrote a review on Captain America Civil War a while ago and hinted a little at the role Spider-Man played but never actually specified whether I was talking about Spider-Man or not so here's a spoiler for you, Spider-Man is in Captain America Civil War. Yes Tony Stark aka Iron Man recruits Peter Parker, who has only just begun his outings as Spider-Man, to join him in the Civil War against Captain America. He also gives Peter the iconic spider suit we've all come to love. Well Spider-Man's story continues in Spider-Man Homecoming which had a trailer released back in December but as the release date looms closer (July 7th to be exact... Funny enough this would actually make it 7/7/17.) we've got a new trailer swinging right at us!


This trailer seems to focus more on Peter and his fight against the main villain The Vulture who has been a mainstay villain of Spider-Man's since 1963. Recognize the man playing him? Yup Michael Keaton is hanging up his Bat Cowl and taking on a pretty high tech Vulture suit. Not sure what his plot is exactly but he seems to have a vendetta against Tony Stark (I'll get into him in a minute.) and wants to protect his family, though obviously not in a good guy sort of way so Spider-Man has to stop him. Tony Stark aka Iron Man seems to be playing a key role in this movie and will be making quite a few appearances. One of his appearances has him taking Peter's suit back away from him, great thanks Tony you're such a nice guy. He also tells a Peter in the trailer to be more of a friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man rather then try and become an Avenger. (Which is a complete mess right now anyway as of Civil War.) We also get to see some interaction between Parker and Ned Leeds who I'm assuming ends up becoming a high school friend of his after Peter accidentally reveals his identity as Spider-Man. Seems Ned will be playing more of a Harry Osborne role in the sense of being Parkers best friend in the movie.

Overall this movie is looking wicked awesome and I'm extremely excited to catch this film, this may actually end up my favorite out of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe but I've always been a huge Spider-Man fan so forgive me. Oh yeah another thing to look forward to... Stan Lee's cameo appearance. Yes the creator of Spider-Man has had a cameo in every Marvel movie to date (Correct me if I'm wrong there.) it doesn't really matter whether it's a Marvel Studios movie or one of Fox's or Sony's Stan is in there.

Now before we end the blog obviously I have to share a free knitting pattern. I've been featuring a free knitting pattern in almost every blog lately and I've been loving this idea. I know geek and knitting aren't a new combo by any means but I'm a knitting geek myself so it works for me. I try to keep the patterns as related to the topic as possible and luckily I actually managed to find a few Spider-Man knitting patterns. This knitting pattern I'm featuring may be the coolest knitting pattern I've ever featured to date... it's called "Web Spinner" by Irene Johnston of Fully Wooly (Is that a Fooly Cooly reference or have I watched to many Anime shows in my lifetime?)
This is an awesome coat/jacket that can be knitted for all size! I was surprised to find instructions for all sizes within this pattern and the pattern itself is one of the most professional patterns I've read yet. Everything is laid out nicely and it actually seems like it's not too advance to knit. Of course I've never knitted a coat or jacket before so I can't say from experience how hard this will be but I think its worth it. This would be an awesome present for your kids, siblings or even yourself. Chart B in this pattern can actually also be used for a beanie which adds a nice finishing touch to this wall crawling jacket. The yarn used on this pattern is worsted yarn so make sure you adjust if you wish to use anything that's not worsted. You can check out this awesome pattern at Ravelry! Don't forget to check out Fully Wooly's other patterns on Ravelry as well!

So I'm trying to do more knitting these past two weeks have been a bit hectic and I've been having time organizing issues so everything has been a big mess and knitting has been put on the sidelines until I found free time. Well things seem to be getting back to normal so I've been trying to put more time into knitting again. My main knitting focus right now is my Princess Peach dishcloth so here's an update on that!


It's finally starting to look like Princess Peach and I'm actually halfway done with this pattern. It seems to be looking right; I've been having weird doubts about whether I was screwing up or not. I'm new to reading charts and I've been having problems keeping my eye on the right line but luckily my doubts have been proven wrong and everything is looking great so far. Hopefully I'll actually be able to finish this soon and I should be able to I mean things are calming down a bit. I really need to work on my time organization, but I've managed to stick to my blog schedule except for one incident so far so it can't be that bad.

That's a wrap folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment